Sunday, February 5, 2012

Intimacy with the Almighty-A Journey

Ahlan ya al-naas.

I hope you're enjoying this fabulous Sunday afternoon! As much as I would love to sit and chat with you all about what's been going down in my life, I want to take this time to lay out what I'm about this semester: An adventure. I stayed home from church today because I really wanted God to talk to me this morning about certain things and didn't want any kind of distraction. Granted, I ended up looking at my bank statement, updating Twitter and selling books on Amazon..fail...I need discipline.

Which brings me to my next point and the reason for this slight change in the direction for my blog. I started reading this book entitled: Intimacy with the Almighty a year ago, but have finally decided to take it seriously and take my relationship with God more seriously. I'd like to use this space to process thoughts after reading this book every other day. There are 4 basic chapters and reflection questions after them. I won't answer ALL the questions here, but it'll be nice to update the blog every now and then.

The book encourages intimacy and a closer relationship with our Heavenly Father as something to strive for and something that'll take discipline and changes in our lives.

For me that will be the biggest obstacle. I love DOING things. I always want to be involved and have very little discipline. As soon as I read the first few pages I knew that I had to step down from the next show I am supposed to do. I am the biggest fan of shows and productions, but I can't handle anything else in my life at the expense of relating with God and others. This will also help in discipline because it's something that I have work at, not just something that'll happen between meetings, class and hw.

Finally, the verse that got me to commit is this from Revelations 2:

"To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: The One who holds the seven stars in His right hand, the One who walks among the seven golden lamp stands, says this: 'I know your deeds and your toils and perseverance, and that you cannot endure evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false; and you have perseverance and have endured for My name's sake, and have not grown weary, But I have this against you, that you have left your first love."
vs. 1-4

I know how amazing God's love is, but there are times when I realize that I'm running around without Him, trying to make it on my own. That's whack and I want this to change because life is so much more complete with Him in it. That I know for sure. 

Next entry is the first chapter of this book by Charles R. Swindoll. Let the journey begin!

The Climb-by Miley Cyrus for some inspirational stuff. 

Until later,
            Ife "Quipayan" S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment