Thursday, September 8, 2011

Student-Morning-Dread syndrome



"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

I'm a senior in college!!! 3 years of experience under my belt and you would think I've figured it all out.
False. 

I woke up early and the first thing I felt was fear and disdain for my lifestyle as a student (late nights, early mornings, half-baked assignments, no breakfast, 4 hours of work ahead, strange smells in the kitchen etc). Those emotions, for me, create a cycle of being stuck and not knowing or desiring to move forward. I hate those moments. What makes it worse is when I can't catch a break to figure it all out. When I have that break, I just want to sleep (but really though). I call this the SMD (Student-Morning-Dread) syndrome. Define it however you like.



The opening line (Teach us...has never made much sense to me, but when I read it (feeling the way I do now), it really calmed me down from this craziness of life. "Teach us to number our days aright." I guess I could interpret it like this:

                           :Teach me to value the days I've been given, seeing each and everyday as another day to
                            succeed in your kingdom.

                            :Teach me to see each day as a day to do what's necessary and valuable, not doing
                             extra. Extra just gets in the way of numbering my days aright.

                             :Teach me to how to enjoy each day as it comes, not dread the day ahead.


This only happens when I make time for my main priorities. Jesus.School.Relationships.The future. Everything else will take a back seat (seriously). Stripping down to the priorities, I have my peace and I am that much wiser.

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart to wisdom."  --Psalm 90:12
Enough with SMD syndrome. 

Much love, peace and syndrome-free grease,
           Ife 'Quipayan' S.

P.S. These past few weeks have been entirely too crazy. Dean McLeod's death, financial aid stuff, Spanish TA interviews at 7:45 in the AM!! Anywho, the craziness has to settle. The future is waiting. Today is the day that the Lord has made. Didn't make it for me to go crazy. shooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment