Sunday, September 5, 2010

Que es, es po.

There are some things in life that are the way they are. Like, Wisconsin will always be cold in the winter. There's nothing that I can do about it or anyone else for that  matter. Pues, the some applies to Chile. There are things that I'l just have to get used to while I'm here. None of them are bad and I am not compromising any of me or who I am to oblige...well...yea. Nope. Here is a short list, not comprehensive at all, of my fabulous "que es, es" things that I will get used to...eventually:

1) The kisses-  This one was easier getting used to because I knew about it. There is no way of getting around it and I, for one, don't mind. When you greet someone, you greet them with un beso (kiss) on the cheek (some people get too close to the mouth for comfort, but that hasn't happened to me. Thank God). If you're thinking, wow Ife, you're so brave to put your lips on someone else's face that has already been kissed, then boy do I have a surpise for you. Yes, I am brave. Except there's a short cut. You just put your cheek on theirs and make the kissing noise! Revolutionary! Sí. Sé. But really, po. When you enter, saluda con un beso y when you leave, sale con otro beso.

2) Heat-It's winter now and I like staying warm, but the thing is, that is made possible by systematically increasing the layers of clothing one wears. Once, I wore 5 layers, including my abrigo. The "heater" simply is there to heat up your water y nada mas. If you are cold, get more clothes! I learned that. My host mother, Diela, always says, " Abrígate!" "Wrap yourself up!" It's not even a question anymore.
I learned how to turn on the heater so I can have warm water to shower in. The machine is called a calefactor and y flip a switch, strike a fósforo (match), light a gas pipe  (obviously, not the pipe, but the opening) and turn the dial to cálido or caliente (warm or hot) otherwise you bathe in agua helada. I hear it's good for the skin...

3) Meal talk- Especially with all the primos, novias, novios, tios, tias, hermanos y pololos (less serious than novio...casual dating more or less while novio seems to indicate there is a possible future together). Talk equals alcoholic drinks, checking if the gringa (me) knows words or is understanding what's going on, and all around loving. I've only been with my family for 1.5 days and 1.5 nights on a weekend (which means everyone is home), but all the conversations have included this. I'm not drinking during the program though the legal age is 18, wine is served at lunch and you can get whatever type of copete (drink) at dinner. Why? I'll get into that later. But back to the topic, yes, we eat a lot and drink a bit less. But not much less. I don't have much to contribute because my knowledge of drinks is very limited...and in spanish...even more. Also, jokes are ALWAYS being made. Ranging from chistes about being drunk or alcohol to chistes about finding me un pololo or any other gringo at the table. Food=lots of laughter. This is what I appreciate about their culture and my host family.

4) Standing out- I've seen a total of 3 dark people here in Chile, not saying that we are a novelty, but yes, I stand out. My communication and accent are good enough that people stare extra hard in astonishment (not to toot my own horn). I also am wearing trenzas (braids) that everyone HAS to touch. Almost everywhere I go, someone asks about it. I don't mind because I know that they appreciate the hair style. I stand out now, and will continue to stand out. Maybe, less and less...well, nope. I'll still be the gringa that has a uncommon hair style with skin way darker that theirs and speaks Spanish (well, attempts to) like a Chilean, slang and all. Jajaja. I totally am on my way to a great journey and glad you're coming with me! Me encanta.

Pues, tengo un exam a las 10am today and need to sleep. What I do best with 4 blankets in my super chevere pieza (room). I like this life. Wish me good luck and say some prayers, I'm taking la micro (bus) with my gringo cousins by ourselves. Hopefully,we don't get lost and miss our stop. Ah.

Besitos and un abrazito,

    Ife. You should hear the way they attempt to pronounce 'Ifeoluwa'. Let's just say, we'll stick with Ife, po.

No comments:

Post a Comment